Wednesday, June 29, 2011

8 years later . . . it's finally done!

Way back in 2003, Diane and I signed up for the Underground Railroad Block of the Month Club at the Quilting Season, in Saline, MI.  My kids were still little then (and I can use it as an excuse!) so I didn't quite stay "on track" with the monthly blocks.  Last year, I decided that I was going to finish this thing, even if it killed me! 

I had made the decision to make the "flying geese" border, with a pack of civil war fat quarters that I had found at a really cute shop - somewhere in Wisconsin - can't remember where.  That border was nearly the death of me!  NOTHING lined up, and I had to shorten almost every section of the sashing, in multiple places!

BUT, I did finish it this past winter and had it quilted by "the quilting fairy", as my friend Karen calls her (you drop off a quilt, and it magically gets quilted!).  I got the binding put on it this week, and it's finally on my bed in the RV!  Yeah!!  Just in time for our camping trip to Indiana, and a visit to Shipshewana -- what do I work on next??!!


Each of those flying geese cornerstones is a different fabric, and then I used each one in the part that goes ever the pillow, too.



It took awhile, but I'm really happy with the results!

1 comment: